Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What Do They Remember?

 

I have to admit, I haven’t tried this myself. But it seems to me that it is a technique with potential.

1. Prior to a focus group, prepare a special tape.

This should include a series of audio elements you’re interested in. Perhaps some content from on-air talent, like weather, promotion of upcoming songs and/or contests. A couple of actual promos, announcements about special programming like the Top 8 At 8. Put in shortened songs (cut down to about 1 minute total, but with full intro and fade). You may wish to eliminate actual call letters/station name.

2. Total length: 10-15 minutes.

3. As the respondents show up and take their seats, have this play in the background, but loud enough to hear clearly.

4. Make sure that it plays at least one time through for everybody. Many focus group moderators have the respondents fill out a short questionnaire right at the beginning. This could play through that process.

5. Proceed with the focus group.

Here is the fun part:

6. After about a half hour, when there is a natural break: Ask people to take a sheet of paper and write down everything they can remember hearing on the “radio” that was playing in the background when they first came in.

7. Have them pass these sheets to you.

8. Then, you can start a discussion.

I am told that people have been shocked by how little people can recall. I’m also told that they remember best things that clearly benefit them.

I admit that I’m a little surprised that I’ve never personally seen this technique used. But I think it is likely to be a great way to get people to talk about what content actually matters to them.

Finally: If you have any experience with this or something similar, I'd love to hear from you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home