Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Station that Listened

I punch in the station. I hear Billy Joel's River of Dreams. Then, Boogie Oogie Oogie, by Taste of Honey.

Sound like a lame station?

Well, also know that despite both of those songs having been played so many times, both songs were back announced with title and artist. Then, the DJ talked.

They identify every song.

Sound even goofier?

Okay, one more interesting fact: The number one complaint from listeners is that we don't announce the title and artist of the song. Trust me on that one. I do this for a living.

Yeah, but what do they know? We're the professionals!

Punch line:

This station is WBEB, Philadelphia. They have a 15.8 share. The number two station has a 6.9.

Imagine that. Listen to what people want. Give them what they want. And win. Huge.

It warms my heart and brings a little tear to my eye.

Want to hear the station that wins? I thought so! Here you go:

http://tuner1.dc1.sonixtream.com/solon/media/tuner/Tuner?aff=b101radio&useSame=true&type=IE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home