Sunday, April 23, 2006

MP3 Player Statistics

I ran across some interesting statistics on MP3 players.

From the hype, I would have guessed that the share for the iPod was about 95%. But actually, the most recent figure I can find is 29.4%. Sony was number 2 with 10.6%. ‘Other’ was really large, at 30.2%. That would include my “Napster”, manufactured by Samsung.

Beyond listening to music, these things are used to listen to podcasts. How is that going?

According to one survey I found, reported use of MP3 players to listen to podcasts is dropping. It was 36% 9 months ago, and down to 26% 3 months ago.

I’m not certain that tells the whole story. I frequently listen to podcasts. But I never bother to transfer them to an MP3 player. I download them to my “oversized” MP3 player – also known as my HP laptop – and listen to them directly from my computer. Since I take it everywhere, why bother with another device?

The MP3 player gets used when I’m on the tractor. I couple the Napster with a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort II headphones. I hardly notice the roar of the little Kubota that could.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home