Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Way to Extend Your Music Test

Do you have a listener email database?

First, if you don't, I'd suggest that you consider building one. At the very least, make "joining" an option for listeners who visit your Web site. I have found a number of stations that require an email address in exchange for being able to access streaming audio. I'm not certain that isn't overdoing it, but in my case, I haven't felt like that was too much to ask.

A station that I "signed up" with sends me email on a regular, but not irritating, basis. Two of their recent emails are worth noting.

Shortly after completing an AMT/library music test, this station sent an email out to the database.

We were informed that the station had just completed a huge music survey. We were asked to listen to the station critically over the next two weeks. We were given an email address for our comments, good or bad.

Actually, it was very well written. But to respect the station's privacy and creativity, I won't share the exact wording (I've hidden it in a safe place).

A few days later, I received a second email, again asking for feedback. This time there was a specific date by which comments should be sent. I liked the sense of urgency that created.

I also think it made it sound much more serious and important because the station established a deadline.

My first impression is that this is a very nice extension of the music testing process. And why not alert some of the people who are most likely to notice your changes? Make sure those changes pass the giggle test.

Do you agree?

I would suggest just one more thing, given that a deadline was sent for comments. I'd enter everybody in a random drawing (making it clear that there is no penalty for negative comments). The prize doesn't need to be expensive. But it should have the station's name. And of course everybody should receive a "thank you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home